Re: RFC: Non-fragile ivars

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: RFC: Non-fragile ivars
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 04:41:50 -0700 (PDT)

On 31 Mai, 17:28, Gregory John Casamento <greg_casame...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> This certainly sounds like an interesting idea with is worth considering.
> I'd like to hear from some of the other core devs regarding their opinions on
> this.
>
> GC
>
>  Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc
> # GNUstep Chief Maintainer

If one has to change a compiler and runtime anyway, improvements in
stability can be easily introduced.

As far as I remember some discussion on this, the Apple runtime does
it mainly the same way by adding one more level of indirection. The
classical "solution" to this fragility issue was to put everthing
which could change in the future into one iVar 'void
*internalData;'... Therefore, there was already one more level of
indirection - which is no moved from the programmer to the compiler/
runtime. And, the drawback was that subclasses could not directly use
that content and had to call the getters/setters of the superclass
explicitly.

The most prominent area where I think it has practical relevance also
for GNUstop is for subclasses of NSView/NSCell. Some 50% of all
applications use that feature. If we now change something in the
NSView implementation e.g. to improve the drawing engine by caching
mechanisms or implement new attributes/getters/setters, code using
subclasses of NSView must be recompiled. This is quite difficult to
communicate to the users.

So, it removes one level of dependency and potential problems.

My opinion: yes.

Nikolaus