Re: Devices for embedded GNUstep development

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Devices for embedded GNUstep development
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:23:20 +0100

On 27 May 2008, at 07:00, hns@computer.org wrote:

The next thing is that there is no recent update for the N770. Only
the 800 and 810.
And, they have switched to EABI - for which I don't have a working
compiler.

There is a community back-port of the latest N800 OS to the 770 (OS 2007 Hackers Edition) which might be worth investigating. I've not tried it (my 770 is still running OS 2005, I think), but a friend has and claims it is an improvement. Possibly not a great development platform, but definitely worth exploring.

To be honest, there's not a huge amount of the built-in 770 software I'd want to keep. The kernel (well, not ideally, but I think it's the only kernel that will run there), X server, browser and something for configuring the bluetooth stack to talk to my mobile phone is about all that I wouldn't want to replace with something more *STEPy.

Is there a major problem with moving your toolchain to use the new ABI? It seems to be well-supported in modern versions of GCC (and OABI isn't supported at all by LLVM) and has a number of advantages, particularly in terms of floating point performance.

David