Re: GNUstep.conf or source ?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep.conf or source ?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:36:25 +0100

On 20 May 2008, at 19:22, Rubens_Septimus wrote:

Hello,

Something I'm trying to understand : I build several things
(gnustep-startup, GWorkspace) and all seemed to get well done.
After that, I tried to load GWorkspace. But openapp was not found and it
failed.
I had to add the source GNUstep.sh in my .bashrc to be able to launch
GWorkspace : after that, I can launch it from an Xterm with either method :

GWorkspace
openapp /usr/GNUstep/System/Applications/GWorkspace.app
/usr/GNUstep/System/Applications/GWorkspace.app/GWorkspace

But, if I try to do it from a docked icon within WindowMaker, it complains
that the execution of the command failed with either method...

So I wonder :
1°) Why I need to add the source GNUstep.sh in .bashrc to exec an app while
it is said around to be necessary only to build it, not to exec it.

At a guess ... because you have not installed GNUstep configured to use the native filesystem. If you aren't using the native filesystem layout, then you somehow have to tell your shell and window manager how to find libraries and executables (because they aren't where the shell is expecting to find them) ... so you either deal with that yourself, or you can source GNUstep.sh to do it (among other things). Most likely windowmaker doesn't know how to find the libraries because it was started up before you sourced GNUstep.sh.

2°) Why the /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf configuration file seems to be
useless.

I'm sure it's being used (otherwise your apps wouldn't work properly even when you source GNUstep.sh). The GNUstep.conf file is used to tell GNUstep applications where to find their resources ... it's NOT used to tell your shell or window manager where to find libraries and executables (after all, your shell doesn't know anything about it).