Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

Riccardo Mottola-4 wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> Well, it seems I can't build anything from svn or source until now...
>> What
>> else ? I can't choose to revert to a running desktop without
>> printing. Is
>> FreeBSD more up to to date and more easy to get running ? I wonder
>> what all
>> the GNUstep dev use : maybe OS X ? I'm very confused...
>

> I develop on FreeBSD, NetBSD and Gentoo/Linux. On all systems I used
> packages to get dependencies, but installed GNUstep Core, dev-apps and
> user-apps from source, The same goes for GAP. I need that to test the
> work, being a developer. FreeBSD and Linux work quite fine,NetBSD too,
> except the GNUMail application.
>
> I have a Debian installation to check my apps against debian release,
> but currently it is hopeless, the gui package is very out of date,
> they track only stable releaes. The latest release of GNUstep gui
> should improve yuou printing quite a bit. At least, I can print RTFs
> fine.
>
> Riccardo

Thanks Ricardo and the above for your advice. So I am making all from
source, with the method "GNUstep Build Guide for Unix Systems" by Dennis
Leeuw, adapting this to get dependencies in a wide bash script on Ubuntu
Hardy and dealing with sudo -E to conserve $GNUSTEP_... env.

I have got things well made :
Make 2.0.5
Fundation 1.15.3
AppKit 0.13.2
Backend :0.13.2

until Renaissance (0.9.0) and GWorkspace (0.8.6) : here I got the same king
of error, but don't understand what I missed with the path of the tools :
sourcing is done in the script and again in the XTerm. What else ?

First, here is my attempt of a whole script :
http://www.nabble.com/file/p17286127/installation_gnubuntu01.sh
installation_gnubuntu01.sh

And here are the error messages :
### this one with GWorkspace
  Creating thumbnailer.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...
/bin/sh: make_services: not found
make[3]: *** [thumbnailer.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist] Erreur 1
make[2]: *** [thumbnailer.all.service.variables] Erreur 2
make[2]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/SOURCE/GWorkspace-0.8.6/Tools/thumbnailer »
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
make[1]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/SOURCE/GWorkspace-0.8.6/Tools »
make: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2

### this other one with Renaissance :
Making all for app GSMarkupBrowser...
 Creating GSMarkupBrowser.app/Resources/GSMarkupBrowser.desktop...
/bin/sh: pl2link: not found
make[2]: *** [GSMarkupBrowser.app/Resources/GSMarkupBrowser.desktop] Erreur
127
make[1]: *** [GSMarkupBrowser.all.app.variables] Erreur 2
make[1]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/SOURCE/Renaissance-0.9.0/Tools »
make: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2

My env when errors occur :
echo $GNUSTEP_PATHLIST
/home/patrick/GNUstep:/usr/GNUstep/Local:/usr/GNUstep/Network:/usr/GNUstep/System

I am stuck !