Re: Cross Compiling for OS X?

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Cross Compiling for OS X?
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 10:22:37 +0200

Hi Blake,

Setting identical settings for a project and its targets should not be necessary. I have not specifically set the installation settings you describe (I install from my GNUstep GNUmakefile),

I tried that! The frameworks built and installed fine, I could even run an application built with XCode and Debug as the target. But as soon as I switched to Release I got an error message that the frameworks haven been built for the wrong platform!? Rather weird! Are you building your applications (linking to your frameworks) with XCode or with gnustep make?

Also, if you have some build settings that you'd like to apply across many projects, you may want to consider build configuration files. Check out the following document from Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/xcodebuildsettings.html

I don't know if you've already read through the Xcode User Guide, but two parts of it that you may find useful are:

Build Settings
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/ XcodeUserGuide/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/05_04_bs_build_settings/ chapter_33_section_1.html
[http://tinyurl.com/3v4ccz]

Build for Release (describes installation)
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/ XcodeUserGuide/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/05_07_bs_building_product/ chapter_35_section_7.html
[http://tinyurl.com/53jklc]

In the case of your installation settings, I believe you'll want to set those on the Release build configuration of the target associated with the application or framework you wish to install. Some of the settings will already be configured in the Release build > configuration.

Thanks for the links!

Regards,

  Andreas