Re: GNUstep on Ubuntu Hardy and Debian Testing.

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Ubuntu Hardy and Debian Testing.
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

David Chisnall wrote:

> Hi Rubens
>
> On 30 Apr 2008, at 12:22, Rubens_Septimus wrote:
>
>> So, according to the first way - for newbies like me - my question
>> might be
>> : is the Camaelon theme engine specific to Etoile or is it well
>> integrated
>> within GNUstep specs so I can use it, without the need to install
>> from svn ?
>> I think some clarification about this for people like me could help
>> more my
>> understanding of things.
>
> Camaelon is a set of categories on GNUstep classes and is highly
> dependent on the layout of a number of classes in AppKit.  As such, a
> version of Camaelon needs to be paired with the version of GNUstep.
> The version in Étoilé trunk should work with GNUstep trunk.  We should
> probably start tagging versions of Camaelon that work with specific
> GNUstep releases, but haven't done that in the past.  Nicolas' Summer
> of Code student this year is working on improving theme support in
> GNUstep and so the ABI dependencies of Camaelon on GNUstep are likely
> to be reduced in the future (and, hopefully, the AppKit ABI will be
> stabilised soon...).
>
> With regard to installing from debs, Étoilé does not produce packages
> for any operating system at present, although we are more than happy
> to assist anyone wishing to do so.  If you want to create debs from
> our repository then drop us an email and we'll be happy to provide any
> help you need.
>
> Camaelon has no dependencies on any parts of Étoilé.  If you want to
> use horizontal menus, then you have two choices, you can either use
> the support built into GNUstep by writing the default, or you can run
> EtoileMenuServer and load the corresponding bundle from the Étoilé
> repository in the same way you load Camaelon (via user AppKit
> bundles).  These both work in slightly different ways.  At some point
> it is probably worth comparing the code in the two and seeing if they
> can be merged - as I recall the only real difference is that the
> Étoilé version gets the location for the menu bar by querying the menu
> server, and so it should be possible to use the same code in both
> cases and use the default positioning when the menu server is not
> running.

Thanks David for the news and the explanation. So I will try the two methods
to compare and understand more.
Well, I could help, maybe, but I must first practice, learn and understand.
Making packages is a great responsibility and I am not ready now to do the
job as  well as people could hope. But in mind...  later.