Re: The orca, GNUstep's mascot

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: The orca, GNUstep's mascot
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:42:46 +0100

On 28 Apr 2008, at 17:09, hns@computer.org wrote:

See... this is gnustep, so while you could do that, it would best be done as:

RELEASE(willy);

Well, I never understood completely why is it better (or best) to
replace some standard Obj-C method call syntax by standard C function
call syntax that breaks compilation on OSX without adding some
defines.

I know that it allows to remove/undef all RELEASE() calls if we have a
working GC runtime.

For what it's worth, I no longer think that's a good reason for using RELEASE() ... processor speeds have improved so much over the years that the performance overhead of calls to -release is really not important.