Re: NSEPSImageRep and NSPDFImageRep (was: GNUstep Google Summer of Code

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: NSEPSImageRep and NSPDFImageRep (was: GNUstep Google Summer of Code 2008)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:07:57 -0400

Fref Kiefer wrote:

> Thank you for looking into that.
> As for NSEPSImageRep and NSPDFImageRep, here it wont help us to use
> cairo. Cairo is able to write these formats, but wont read them. We will need
> to use some other library to to read and process the formats.

I don't know what can be done about them.  The obvious choice for EPS
parsing is GhostScript, but it is licensed under GPLv2 only, which is
incompatible with LGPLv3.  And for PDF, Poppler is also licensed under
GPLv2 only (since Xpdf is GPLv2 only).  There is also GNU PDF, but that
doesn't seem anywhere near complete right now.

So as far as I can tell, we don't have any tools to support them right
now, unless someone can convince the GhostScript and Xpdf developers to
relicense under either "GPLv2 or later" or GPLv3, instead of "GPLv2
only".

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)