installing GNU for first time

From: Marcio Valenzuela
Subject: installing GNU for first time
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:20:38 -0600

I installed ubuntu 7.10 on a dell inspiron 8600.  All works fine.

Then i decided to dl gnustep in order to learn and code in objective C for the iphone.

I tried the easy way, downloading the startup script package and running it.  I did, ./configure, make and make install...it ran and installed gnustep directory in my home directory but i guess it wasnt fully installed because when i tried to install gworkspace it said i needed to run the gnustep initialization script first.

So i installed package by packages, gnu-make, gnu-gui, gnu-base and gnu-back, and in the end, ffcall, gorm, wworkspace and project center.  i think they are all installed correctly.

1.  How can I check to see if all these were installed correctly?

Also, i want to write and code with this like MS Visual Studio for c++.  I understand gworkspace is the gui window application that lets you create projects and files in a graphical environment (using written code) and then compile your software and debug it.

2.  Am i correct to assume that gworkspace is the gui part of all this gnustep that will let me code for in a window-like environment?

3.  Where do i start that window-like environment called gworkspace?

4.  What about gorm and project center?

--
Mars