Re: LLVM

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:56:32 +0000

On 29 Feb 2008, at 16:39, hns@computer.org wrote:

IMHO, changing GNUstep in any way to require LLVM is generally not a
good move. It makes life even more difficult to have GNUstep included
in any Linux distribution because we can't influcence them to provide
a LLVM ObjC compiler. Or we have to maintain our own compilers.

To clarify:

I am categorically not advocating changing GNUstep to require LLVM. I am advocating (and implementing) changing LLVM to be able to compile GNUstep. I am also advocating (and plan on implementing) support in LLVM for compiling Objective-C (and later Io and Smalltalk) running atop my runtime. At which point, I will also contribute changes to GNUstep to allow it to run atop my runtime (as it already does on the GNU runtime and sometimes does on the NeXT/Apple runtime).

For reference, LLVM is already available in the repositories for FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo and binary packages are available for RedHat Enterprise Linux, Windows and OS X as well.

David