Re: gnustep-base: cross compiler help

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: gnustep-base: cross compiler help
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:02:04 -0700

On Jan 10, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:
 core/make/configure --build=xxx host=yyy target=zzz

And then, it would become natural to use 'host=xxx' everywhere, in configure and make arguments, to turn on cross-compilation when using gnustep-make as a compilation tool. This is exactly what the GNU/autoconf standard interpretation requires. :-)

To keep things backwards compatible, we could try to detect 'make target=xxx', print a warning, and execute it as if 'make host=xxx' had been specified; the same for './configure --target=xxx' which would temporarily emit a warning and be converted
into './configure --host=xxx'. :-)

Also, we could set GNUSTEP_TARGET_xxx and other variables to be the same as
GNUSTEP_HOST_xxx so that old GNUmakefiles will keep working. :-)

I'll have to look to see what's going on, but I'm cross-compiling GNUstep to make the Windows installer, and I use --host=xxx on everything and it works fine (for base I have to use --with-config- file=./GNUstep.conf to fix the "target" issue - I didn't bother to fix the code...). The autoconf documentation is confusing, but it seems to recommend using both --build and --host when cross- compiling, although specifying --build does not work at all for any package I use (even non-GNUstep ones). I'm not sure I'd care that much about backward compatibility (except for printing warnings). I'd rather that people try to upgrade old makefiles to work correctly rather than setting up variables the way we think things should be.

You can see my cross-compile script at

svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/tools/installers/trunk/nsis