Re: how to install a tool into GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: how to install a tool into GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:19:12 +0000

On 29 Dec 2007, at 11:06, Nicola Pero wrote:

I guess because gnustep has never used a separate 'Admin' area for
anything.
I don't think we have a policy on what gnustep tools (if any) should
go in the admin area.

ah, ok. I just thought the gdomap binary would be installed into an admin
directory as the gdomap manual page is installed in section 8.
However, thats not a problem for me, I only wanted to get my tools installed
in such a directory.

From the gnustep-make documentation --

"The @file{Admin Tools} location contains tools and executable scripts
that are only useful to the system administrator.  A normal user
wouldn't have enough privileges to use these applications in a useful
way."

So, 'Admin Tools' should contain the equivalent of Unix tools that go in /sbin, such as 'adduser' or similar tools that are specific to system administration.

We don't have many of such tools in gnustep, which is why it's never been
used.

To me it looks like 'gdomap' should go in tools, where it is now ... So maybe it's the gdomap manpages that are being installed in the wrong place ?

Well gdomap is perhaps the only tool which would ideally be used by the sysadmin ... It needs to be run by root (or with the s-bit set to run as root) so that it can listen on the standard privileged port (so apps talking to it know they can trust it). There should only be one copy running on the system, shared by all users of the system.
It should ideally be started at system boot time.

So putting it in sbin seems reasonable ... the other daemons are user- specific, buyt gdomap seems to be a special case.

Perhaps we should change the location of gdomap but nothing else? I'm happy to leave things as they are or change them (a couple of lines), whatever people want.