RE: Windows Installer on OSNews

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: Windows Installer on OSNews
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:30:53 -0800

> Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf

> > Am 26.12.2007 um 17:04 schrieb Adam Fedor:

> > On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Markus Hitter wrote:
> >
> >> Going to GNUsteps web site <http://www.gnustep.org/experience/
> >> Windows.html>, I think this could be phrased better.
> >
> > Thanks. I made some updates.

> Really? Here it still reads:

> State

> The current installer has been tested in a few configurations (NT,
XP).
> It does not work on 64-bit systems. It most likely will not work if
you
> don't have Administrator access. It also only sets things up correctly
> for the current user, not for any other users on the system.
> Please report any other bugs or issues to us.

But I think it's okay to be open and direct about what works and what
does
not and what to expect!

Markus Hitter wrote:

> People want to listen to great, working stuff.

Only if they later get the stuff and it really appears
great and working. Otherwise, big disappointment happens!

> Bugs are nasty, but many people won't even notice them.
> So why talking about and even putting emphasis on them?

To be honest to ourselves.

> Cite:
> "User Installer
> If you just want to run GNUstep applications GNUstep-User - Not
available yet."

> Well, if there's no User Installer yet, why do you distinguish it
> from the Developer Installer at all? Just talk about _the_ Installer.

Here I agree. It's best if non-working features are just hidden, no need
to talk about them. But it's minor compared to the general idea on what
is good and bad to tell. In my humble opinion, to tell existing
limitations
upfront is good.

Happy New Year to everyone,
Tima