Re: Need Windows Installer Testers

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Need Windows Installer Testers
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:29:16 -0700

On Dec 16, 2007, at 4:35 AM, Krishna wrote:

:-) .  Calculator.app had problems the first time it started.
  1. It took a long time (donno if it is a windoze issue)
That's probably because the first time, an app tries to find gdnc.exe and start it up if not running, so it takes awhile to launch and detect it. It is something I could start automatically from the installer though.

The name "gnustep-system-<ver>-setup.exe" is misleading as it is
basically mingw. I wasn't sure so I installed it and now I have 3
copies of mingw! . Since NSIS supports net based installation a better
idea maybe is to make the mingw installation optional and downloadable
at install time (iirc, the Qt4 installer does this).

Except the "current" MinGW releases tend to be fairly old - it's not easy to know if someone is using the current release from a few years ago or the more recent "preview" releases. Plus I eventually want to get an installer working on 64-bit machines, which means I need to compile my own anyway. Also I need to know where the mingw install is so I can set up the paths correctly. Perhaps when I get better at nsis, I'll try to work on some of that though.

Also, wouldn't it be better to factor the installer into a runtime and
an sdk? That way, applications can be deployed using the runtime
without the headers and import libs going into the system.

Probably. I'll get there eventually.