Fwd: Interface localization ?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Fwd: Interface localization ?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:42:30 +0000

Gah!  I'm still not used to the weird reply behaviour on this list.

Begin forwarded message:

On 23 Nov 2007, at 13:08, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

There may be a better way, but here's how I do it:

Since every object that needs to be translated has a title/label, I
use the English label in Gorm, then programmatically set every label
again using localised strings.

That way, you only need one Gorm file, and a couple of
Localisable.strings files.

I think that's probably the cleanest way of doing it in GNUstep at the moment. OS X has a nibtool command-line app which allows you to dump strings from a .nib and then recreate the nib with the localised versions and then tweak them in IB to make sure all of the widths are correct. I'd have to take a closer look at the GORM code to see how hard this would be to implement for GNUstep.

David