how to not strip gnustep-base

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: how to not strip gnustep-base
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:30:56 +0100

Hi,

I try to compile gnustep-base-1.15.1 with gnustep-make-2.0.2.
I want to have debugging symbols installed and the binaries not stripped,
therefore I ran
gmake messages=yes strip=no debug=yes install

but the binaries are stripped after install. The e.g. defaults command is
not stripped, in the sources, but it is stripped after it was installed in
the system.

Is there anything I can do to install it not stripped?

A file command on libgnustep-back tells me, it is not stripped, but that is
afaik installed as a bundle.

Any hint where I should take a look?
grep -r strip * in the Makefiles unfortunately produces a lot of hits.

kind regards
Sebastian