Re: Menu windows appear in window manager windows list ?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Menu windows appear in window manager windows list ?
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:28:40 +0100

Truls Becken wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 7:38 PM, Gregory John Casamento
> <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm saying it is a bug if it shows menu windows as windows in the window
>> list.   They shouldn't show up there.
>>
>> Whether that's a bug in Metacity or GNUstep remains unclear.
>
> It happens in OpenBox as well. It's probably a bug not to ignore
> windows with _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU, but this is likely to be a
> problem with many window managers, taskbars, and pagers.
>
> I see from xprop that _NET_WM_STATE is not set on the menus. How about
> setting that to _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR and
> _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER ? My panel does this in addition to
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK.

We already have code that should be doing exactly this in place in
XGServerWindow.m, starting line 3152. Most likely I did get the
specification wrong and it isn't sufficient to send a message, we also
have to set the property. In the other places where I call sendRoot: we
already do this.

Anybody willing to write a patch for this?
Some simple XChangeProperty() with add and remove should be enough.

Cheers,
Fred