Re: does GORM no longer use TextView?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: does GORM no longer use TextView?
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:21:52 +0000

When GORM creates an NSTextView, it is really containing an NSScrollView containing an NSTextView. Some applications will want to modify properties of the scroll view, some of the text view, and so both are accessible. It makes sense once you understand the view hierarchies employed by most of the common OpenStep view objects (particularly the NSScrollView/NSClipView interaction).

The only problem I've had with it in GORM is that it's sometimes very hard to attach an outlet to an interior nested view. As Saso says, this can be worked-around by using -documentView, but that is just a hack, not a solution (and not needed on OS X where IB makes it easy to drag to nested views). IB 3 has a really nice outline layout which I'd love to see replicated in GORM where you get a schematic display of the view hierarchy and can easily connect up actions and outlets.

David