Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable developme

From: Renaud Molla
Subject: Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:00:33 +0100

I think that anyone thinking that GNUstep can be successful without a look that appears traditional to users within their environment
and a behavior that somewhat closely mimic it too is deluding himself.

To anyone doubtful about this I'll give the following examples:
- Apple after buying NeXT created Rhapsody which adopted a look and feel more natural to Mac OS 9 users than NeXT. - Apple worked hard on making Java application integrate the best they could in the desktop environment - Apple made OpenStep and Carbon application coexist in such a fashion that's it's sometimes hard to tell a Carbon app from a Cocoa one
        - Sun created Windows themes for Swing a long time ago
        - Apple/NeXT had a special theme for Yellow Box on windows
        - Qt application look standard on windows (look like crap on Mac OS X)
- Microsoft Office for Mac was at the beginnning a major failure because of an interface too close from the windows one, now it has a really different interface - Any mac users out there to have run OpenOffice? You just don't want to use it.
        - etc, etc.

So if anyone thinks environment integration is unnecessary, then why would companies do their best at it?

I know this might be a lot of work, still this is true.

Regards.