Re: Site Redesign (was: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopar

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Site Redesign (was: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:04:33 -0500

On Nov 11, 2007 4:34 PM, Jesse Ross <gnustep@jesseross.com> wrote:
I don't know about everyone else, but when I first visit a site for
an application, toolkit, or even programming language, I check out
the screenshots. It helps me to better understand what the project is
all about by being able to see how I might interact with it. Putting
access to those images in a readily visible location, and making sure
that that homepage image gets updated regularly (weekly, probably),
does a couple positive things for us:

I guess I didn't explain that point too well.  What I was trying to say is that image size detracts from the other contents on the page.  I agree that we should have GNUstep images on the homepage, just not that big.  When reading the content you had on that mock-up (I'm just curious that way) my eyes couldn't help creeping to that image every few seconds, and, in my opinion, this shouldn't happen.  The emphasize should be on the "description", "news", and possibly "how to contribute" part of the page.

I'm like you though, the first I do when checking a website is take a look at the screenshots, but after I already know how something looks I rarely go back to it next time I visit the site.  So, assuming a visit a project 10 times, I would only look at the screenshots 10% of the time I visit the site (and that would be the first time), the other 90% of the times I go back, all I really want to know is what's going on with the project.

1) It inspires the visitors to our site by showing them what can be
built with GNUstep
2) It shows that we take pride in the visual design of our software
3) It rewards those GNUstep developers who make cool and intuitive UIs
4) It pushes us to keep building new apps (so that we don't grow
stale by having 40 images of code editors on there ;) )

J.