Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:03:49 +0000

Also... my own 2cents:

1) While GNUstep _is_ easy to install when people complain about
difficult installation they talk about:
- lack of *in your face* information on the website to install it
- lack of distribution packages

Yes GNUstep is really easy to install, just grab the tgz and make
install do the trick, more or less. That would have been considered a
gloriously simple installation process ten years ago. And it's still
magnitude easier than installing KDE or GNOME by hand. But guess what:
it does not matter, as KDE and GNOME are now either preinstalled or
fully packaged and the inherent complexity of their installation is
completely hidden to the users. Unfair ? you bet. But I don't see the
point crying over this. We NEED packages, up to date, period.

2) A nice slogan is good, but that's not really what we lack or need
most, is it ? I mean if the recent effort put into that discussion was
spent on the website, it would have been a bit more effective ;-) [not
throwing rocks to anybody, I'm the first to not have time at the
moment to work on gnustep]

Frankly I think that we should have a policy to NOT announcing
releases until packages are available for Ubuntu and Fedora -- we
don't even need to have them /included/ in the distribution, we can
simply have our own repositories that people can add (as far as I know
it's easy to do in both these distributions!)

Also we really lack a big INSTALL GNUSTEP red button in the middle of
the website pointing to a page going through what do you need to do to
INSTALL gnustep and LAUNCH at least one application.

--
Nicolas Roard
"La perfection, ce n'est pas quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, c'est