Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 02:52:19 -0700

On 27 Okt., 01:58, Gregory John Casamento <greg_casame...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> All,
>
> As many of you are probably aware, Apple released Leopard today.
>  Leopard contains a number of enhancements which are important to us, one of
> which is Objective-C 2.0.
>
> Objective-C 2.0
> =====
> Odds are the existing developers will still write for versions of Mac
>  OS 10.4 and below in order to have the widest possible range of
>  customers, but eventually Objective-C 2.0 *will* become the standard.   As
> more
>  and more people upgrade this will become the case sooner rather than
>  later.  The core libraries of GNUstep should remain ObjC "1.0" compatible
> for the forseeable future, but I believe we need to start talking to the
> people in the GCC project to determine
>  how we can help with the implementation of a gnu runtime that works
>  with the new version of the language.

I had started some time ago a translator/preprocessor project that
parses Obj-C 2.0 statements and is intended to expand them into Obj-C
1.0 and standard C extensions. E.g. expand the new enumerator loop to
some implicit while((x=[e nextObject])). The status is that I did not
have enough information about the final syntax of ObjC-2.0 from
official sources and had to stopp work.

Now, as Xcode 3.0 is out the needed information is probably also
available. Maybe, this translator project can help as well.

Link to the sources if someone wants to take a look:

http://www.quantum-step.com/download/sources/mySTEP/objc-2.0/

Nikolaus