Re: GNUstep Apps, iPhone.

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GNUstep Apps, iPhone.
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 03:02:27 -0700

Am 22.10.2007 um 11:49 schrieb David Chisnall:

> On 22 Oct 2007, at 09:53, hns@computer.org wrote:

>> Here is a nice discussion on what could probably happen:

>> http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/tea_leaf_reading

> It seems cocoadev has a partial list of UIKit classes already:

> http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?UIKit

> A lot of them look eerily familiar...

Nice!

But also quite different. Well, I am wrong in the assumption they
don't use floats. They us CGRect etc.
But there is indeed not equivalent to NSCell. And target/actions are
handled completely different.
So, they can NOT use standard IB and NIB files...

>> If he proves right, we could derive an open source UIKit compatible
>> "Easy-GUI" framework from the standard GNUstep GUI so that it runs on
>> X11 based devices. This would open iPhone developers new options: i.e.
>> developing applications for other Handhelds (with Linux/X11/mySTEP)
>> and even (pre)developing their applications on an open platform first
>> and then deploying on the iPhone with all these signature keys.

> It seems like a lot of them could be implemented with just a
> @compatibility_alias line.  UIWindow, for example, is more or > less a subset
> of NSWindow, although it has a few things related to controlling the
> backlight which would require some >
interaction with the backend (does mySTEP have functionality for this
already?)

No. I think the differences are too fundamental to use
compatibility_alias. E.g. the target/action approach. Backlight is not
available in mySTEP in the NSWindow class but indirectly through
something that appears to correspond to UIHardware.

>> So, IMHO we should not strip off anything AppKit but add value to
>> developers by offering both GUI framework variants in GNUstep.

> It would probably be nice to add the UI* methods to their NS* counterparts
> and provide compatibility aliases so you get the full AppKit classes.

Yes, but I don't believe that it works.

Nikolaus