New-style exception handling

From: Larry Campbell
Subject: New-style exception handling
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:24:29 -0400

The gcc 4.1 man page says:

       -fobjc-exceptions
Enable syntactic support for structured exception handling in Objective-C, similar to what is offered by C++ and Java. Currently, this option is only available in conjunction with the NeXT runtime on Mac OS X 10.3 and later.

However, gnustep-base seems to have some support for this; if you build gnustep-make with --enable-native-objc-exceptions, then small test programs I've written "seem to work" (with the gnu runtime on linux x86).

Does anyone know what the real story is here? It would be really nice to dispense with the crufty old setjmp/longjmp stuff -- in particular, with the need to declare certain variables volatile. (I've determined by experimentation that bugs due to undeclared volatility are fixed by switching to native exceptions.)