Re: NSWorkspace launchApplication problem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: NSWorkspace launchApplication problem
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:06:32 +0200

Hi Yen-Ju,

  This is a focus issue as I mentioned before
  and will take effort to fix in Azalea.
Long time ago, GNUstep and WindowMaker are patched to work together on focus.
  The result is that GNUstep follows the WindowMaker's focus model,
which may be slightly different from other window manager.
  So I believe it will work better with WindowMaker if it is all you
want to have.

Thanks for the info. No, I would like to move from Window Maker to Azalea as soon as possible, but I can't as long as I have no reasonably working dock. AZDock denied to comply so far (question mark icons for tools, no icons for firefox, StarOffice,...). :-(

I can reproduce the above mentioned focus problem under Window Maker and Azalea. However, Azalea behaves even worse. EtoileMenuServer shows TextEdit as active application. I press Command-n and get a new Finder window. I have to click back and forth between application windows to get things straight again. :-(

But the main problem is identical under both window managers. If an application is already launched then [NSWorkspace launchApplication:] does nothing, at least with no visual feedback. This approach currently can't be used to switch between applications, so e.g. GSDock does not work at all. :-(

Thanks for working on this!

Regards,

 Andreas