Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:11:26 -0700

Currently [NSWorkspace -openURL:] does nothing if the url is not a file.
I propose to have a 'GSWebBrowserApplication' in user default
(application and NSGlobalDomain) as 'GSWorkspaceApplication'.
Then NSWorkspace can check whether users specify a web browser and
open the url with that web browser.
If there is no 'GSWebBrowserApplication' in user default,
maybe it can try to open the url with 'xdg-open' as last resort.
(http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-open.html).
While it may not be the best solution,
I personally think it is better than doing nothing.
But 'xdg-open' may be missing or installed in different place
depending on the OS.
So it may take some efforts to find it.

Regards

Yen-Ju