projects related to GNUStep?

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: projects related to GNUStep?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 01:32:02 +0800

Dear all

I during my googling around trying to build my GNUStep environment I
have seen many efforts to make a desktop system using GNUStep. Knowing
Etolie is active is a good thing but I just wish to know if other
related projects are still alive (and, maybe it's better they are not
alive so limited resource can be collected in one project to make it
speedy)

* backbone project: project goal is similar with Etolie, it's no longer
going on, right? Because I don't see
download section for this project. http://www.nongnu.org/backbone/

* LinuxStep project: focused on building a linux system (a
distribution?) that provides GNUStep environment. It's no longer alive,
right?

* MidnightBSD: didn't see it's going on because forum's almost empty and
no mailing list provided. But I think it's a good way to start
introducing GNUStep (a distribution targeting an end user group is
always easier to succeed in a general package, in marketing view.) A
bridge project make a product that link GNUStep with end users is a
good thing.

* GNUstep WebKit: https://gna.org/projects/gswebkit/ the
project is abandoned, right?

* Preferences.app http://freshmeat.net/projects/preferences/ where is
preferences.app being developed now? If it's no longer on freshmeat (no
download link for this project on freshmeat) then better close
this freshmeat project, the first google result page for
preferences.app probably don't even include information on where is
application lives. preferences application is neither listed in
GNUStep.org package list page.

* many other applications are on separate websites but they have a
freshmeat page. GNUMail for example, on
www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail/ . as name suggest, people might
think this is a project of GNU (is it?) and probably try find it in
gnu.org or Savannah (there is no project in Savannah about GNUMail but
there is a project GNUMail on freshmeat)

* GNU Application Project http://www.nongnu.org/gap/ what's the
relationship between this project and Etolie?

This is just a newcomer's confuse, just please don't mind if I am
talking as if I don't know the GNUStep project (well, because I do, not
knowing the project. Purely an end user's confuse.)

P.S. What I see is GNUStep development happen here and there. I am not
sure if all people agree that it would be better to collect efforts
together for a main project in condition when development force is not
enough.

Best Regards