RE: Making packages with new -make

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: Making packages with new -make
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 16:03:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your feedback. :-)

> 1. fhs-system layout:  This layout seems to be missing the *_WEB_APPS
> variables, so whenever the GNUstep.conf file is generated it make all
> *_WEB_APPS=/usr.  Not sure how the other layout are about this as I haven't
> check them.

Thanks ... I fixed it.

> This layout also suggests putting DOCS (system in this case) in
> /usr/share/GNUstep/Documentation, but a much more suitable location would be
> /usr/share/doc/GNUstep.  Again, I'm not sure how the other layouts treat
> this.  I've modified my fhs-system file to reflect these points,

Oh ... maybe you're right and we should change it.  Any FHS-lawyer around that
can give
an opinion ?

> 2. Installing libraries without GNUstep.conf:  In the past, what I've had to
> do in order to work around the fact that the installed GNUstep.conf file
> would indicate the actual filesystem, as opposed to a fictitious one, was to
> create a bogus GNUstep.conf that defined GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT to be my
> /tmp/gnustep-core directory.  How would I go about doing that now?

Here is the process:

 <first, make sure you have no GNUstep stuff in the way in your building
sandbox.
   No GNUSTEP_* variables in your shell, no gnustep libs in your library
paths/ld.so.conf,
   etc>

# make/install gnustep-make
 cd core/make
 ./configure
 make
 make install DESTDIR=/tmp/gnustep-core

# Prepare your local GNUstep.conf file
<this will have created a /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf file, which is the final
one that you will
install when you deploy your package>

<now, create your own copy of GNUstep.conf where you prefix everything with
/tmp/gnustep-core,
and put it for example into /tmp/gnustep-core/BuildGNUstep.conf.  This is the
configuration file used to find
makefiles and other stuff when building.>

# Now set up building environment
 export GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE="/tmp/gnustep-core/BuildGNUstep.conf"
 . "/tmp/gnustep-core/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh"

# Build and install gnustep-base using the building environment but making sure
# the default hardcoded paths are the one in the deployment GNUstep.conf
cd core/base
./configure --with-default-config="/tmp/gnustep-core/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf"
make
make install

# Build and install anything else you want in the same way
cd core/gui
./configure
make
make install

cd core/back
./configure
make
make install

Hope this helps :-)

> 3. Sourcing GNUstep.sh:  Is this still needed?  Assuming the person
> installing these packages are not going to compile any GNUstep applications,
> do I still need to source GNUstep.sh in my startup script and add it to
> /etc/profile?

Well, that depends on your specific setup.  Assuming you're using the GNUstep
default
layout on Slackware, if you don't source GNUstep.sh, you need to:

 * manually add /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools and /usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools to your
PATH

 * manually add /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries and
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries
to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig after installing every library

Thanks