Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:57:12 +0000

On 3/23/07, Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:
On Mar 23, 2007, at 15:31, Mark Rowe wrote:

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is how the two
implementations would live side by side if SimpleWebKit directly
implements WebKit classes instead of using a separate class hierarchy
which is then somehow mapped to the WebKit classes.
To bad we don't have namespaces in ObjC ;-)

There's no problem for having two HTML engines coexisting in WebKit
from what I understood -- so I hope that SimpleWebKit is written
taking that into account :)

>> How do you know before you have done it? Can you predict the future?
>> And has the pure number of developers ever been an indicator for
>> project success?
> You don't know, but the web isn't going to sit still for the next
> two or three years while a fledgling browser catches up.  The
> Internet is becoming a central part of the computer experience, and
> many new technologies are being introduced to meet needs as the
> arise.  Keeping up with the start of the art takes work.

As a matter of fact a cleanroom implementation of those "many new
technologies" is quite often much faster to implement than tweaking
10..15 year old, aging C++ code which needs to be super-cautions wrt
changes.

yes... Well I doubt that SimpleWebKit will provide anytime soon a
"useful" browser, as in, good enough to browse most of the existing
websites. But providing a browser implementing standard (X)HTML ? it's
not that hard imho. And such a "simple" browser would be already quite
neat (documentation, etc), even if perhaps you won't be able to use it
to connect to your bank account...

Well, thats a rather stupid discussion, no? Why not stop it? ;-) I'm
quite interested in what Nikolaus comes up with, though I also doubt
it will be useful for *me* personally.

I think it might be very useful for documentation or things like RSS
posts at the very least!

Well, even if just a small JavaScript ObjC interpreter comes out of
this, it would be a very cool and useful thing! :-)

Speaking of that... aren't you supposed to release that shiny
WebScript implementation ? ;-)

--
Nicolas Roard
"La perfection, ce n'est pas quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, c'est