Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:39:44 -0500

I haven't chimed in this conversation so far just because I really don't know anything.  But what I would like to think is that the goals of SimpleWebKit are not the same as that of WebKit.  Since it's announcement of this list, I got the impression that SimpleWebKit was to serve as a WebKit for browsers in applications where resources are scarce, after all it did come from the myStep project, which is a GNUstep fork with PDAs in mind.  In my mind, SimpleWebKit is not being developed to compete with Gecko/WebKit/IE, but to serve as an embeddable framework where WebKit is simply overkill, and there are many applications that need such properties.

If what you are saying is true, that means there would really be no market for browsers such as Links, Lynx, Dillo, etc yet these browsers are fairly popular for the market they serve.  I've used all 3 of the ones I listed at one point or another, and I understand that for what I wanted to do at the time, anything else would be too much.

Stefan