Re: CocoaCast

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: CocoaCast
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:38:54 -0700

On 3/18/07, Graham J Lee <leeg@thaesofereode.info> wrote:
Hi all,

there's a podcast called CocoaCast <http://www.cocoacast.com> by
Boris Klaydman and Russell Homsy, where they go through the chapters
of Hillegass' "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" book discussing the
concepts therein.  Well, I've been asked to join them in an episode
on GNUstep ;-).  Any suggestions of things to talk about would be
welcome, bear in mind the audience is likely to be Cocoa-centric, but
mainly Cocoa newbies.

I thought of trying to avoid explicitly complaining about problems in
the GNUstep chapter of the book, and instead describing the current
state of GNUstep play.  In that:

- overview of the components -make, -base, -gui, -back and how
they're analogous to Cocoa Foundation/AppKit
- code portability between Cocoa and GNUstep (and using -make and -
base with Cocoa lib combo), NIB support, Windows/Linux/etc. platforms
- Summer of Code (there may be a few students listening to the
podcast ;-)
- some apps (mainly dev-apps like ProjectCentre and GORM)
- GUI theming, possibly...

It may be nice to mention some efforts to port frameworks besides the core,
such as AddressKit (Addresses for GNUstep), CoreData (GSCoreData),
WebKit (SimpleWebKit).
It would also be good to mention ProjectManager (http://home.gna.org/pmanager/)
if developer application is under your radar.

Yen-Ju

any amendments or additions would be muchly welcome ;-).  I've asked
for write access to the wiki, once I've got that I'll create a page
with an outline of the podcast material.  I don't know yet when the
episode will be recorded.

Cheers,

Graham.