Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:01:08 +0100

Yves de Champlain schrieb:

> My issue was trying to have libffi built along with gcc without
> building gcj (which is sooooo long to compile).  It's not so  important
> now because I happened to also need gcj since then :-)   It's just that
> I thought --enable-languages=objc should trigger  libffi even though
> java is not built.

Well technically libobjc doesn't depend on libffi (yet) so it isn't
built as resource for libobjc as it is for java.  And because it isn't
considered a full fledged target library, you cannot enable it
explicitly during a gcc build.  Yet since you can build it separately,
there is hardly any motivation to make it a full fledged target library.

Now if libobjc started to implement method forwarding with libffi, then
libffi will be build with libobjc just as it is currently build for java
as you were expecting.

[I'm just being this explicit for the archives].

Cheers,
David