Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC

From: Yves de Champlain
Subject: Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:40:20 -0400

Le 07-03-18 à 05:57, David Ayers a écrit :

Andrew Pinski schrieb:
On 3/17/07, Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> wrote:

I do not see how this could ever be fixed, so I'm
inclined to think that GNUstep should drop libffi.

You know I have not see any bug reports from you about libffi.  In
fact I rather have GNUStep always use libffi because it is more
supported with more targets (and the semi official base code is inside
GCC).  I am about to review the patch which used libffi instead of
__builtin_apply (etc.) inside libobjc also.

I tend to agree with Andrew. I have tried to contact ffcall maintainers
for issues in either SPARC or NetBSD architectures and haven't had
productive responses.

IIRC, building the development environment for ffcall entails
non-portable configure scripts and specific gcc versions (2.7.?).

The problem is that both libffi and ffcall solve non-trivial problems
and /I/ haven't been able to easily find the documentation needed to
use/fix them...  which makes formulating useful bug reports also
non-trivial.

But realize that libffi is what gcc's java implementation uses so for
the common platforms I believe the issues don't necessarily lay within
libffi.

BTW, it seems the only way to build libffi with gcc is to build java (just objc won't do).

I can't really follow the discussion, but my need to oversimplify things leads me to the following conclusions :

1- ffcall works better than ffi today
2- ffi has a brighter tomorrow
3- libobjc would be better by its own (after tomorrow)

not too far off ?

thanks

yves