Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)

From: Camille Bourgoin
Subject: Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:09:17 +0100

On 2007-03-02 11:49:14 +0100 Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:

This discussion pops up once in a while, the fact that we want a GNUstep web browser. From a non-programmer point of view, I would like to make the following comments:

Every time this discussion pops up people are looking for short cuts. Basing coding on existing projects, which from an open source point of view, might be logical, but, from that same open source point of view, we are not in a hurry. We can take the time to build a complete web-engine from scratch, as long as we build a better engine.

And that is my point. Time is not the issue, it has to be better. There are a lot of web browsers around and just a couple of engines. So we could steal ideas and code snippets and prove that Objective-C and GNUstep are a better base for an engine then anything else around.

And if we are really that good, Apple will use the newly written, GNUstep based engine for their next release of Safari ;)

Prove those C++ coders wrong and make the world (wide web) a better place.

With kind regards,

Dennis Leeuw

Chris B. Vetter has a great idea, I think, when he say that with
Objective-c we can simply separate the engine from the web-browser,
solution who offer the possibility to chose the engine to the user,
and offer to the developpers a clear tasks division : teams work on
web-browsers, and others on engines.

It is possible to do a very extensible web-browser : we can choose
the engine ; we can add tools simply ; we can use all the power
of Services etc. The power of Firefox are his extensions. With the
GNUstep Framework we can go further in exensibility.

"We are not in hurry ?" Maybe. You are right. But I think it's also
a good idea to port rapidly a simple engine (or create it) in order
to provide rapidly a solution and attract some developpers (and users).