Re: GNUstep or X11 Problem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: GNUstep or X11 Problem
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:01:31 +0100

Hi all,

I have discovered a serious problem on our GNUstep desktop and am not sure - actually I have absolutely no idea - whether this is a bug in GNUstep back or a general problem of X11.

I start two GNUstep applications. In the first app I click on a button knowing that the operation behind the button takes approximately 10s to complete (some kind of complex export). During these 10s I can do absolutely nothing on my desktop. Under MacOS X I am used to simply activate another application in the meantime e.g. Mail.app or do some stuff in a terminal session. I of course can do nothing in application A as long as its main thread is performing some operation. But on MacOSX I can simply activate another app by clicking on its window and stay productive. Not so on my GNUstep desktop. I tried that with Window Maker, Enlightenment and GNOME and got the same problem with all three window managers. :-(

I suppose, this is a general issue of X11. Can anybody with more insight confirm this? Or is this a problem in GNustep back?

I have looked closer into this problem. This does not seem to be an X11 issue. I just discovered that after starting the long operation in the the first GNUstep application I can switch to e.g. Window Maker Preferences or xterm and then to another GNUstep application. I just can't switch directly from GNUsteo app to GNUstep app. This definitely looks like a problem in GNUstep not a general issue of X11. Hope is coming back... :-)

Any idea, what is preventing the GNUstep to GNUstep app switch?

Regards,

  Andreas