Re: Really learning ObjC

From: Renaud Molla
Subject: Re: Really learning ObjC
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:03:29 +0100

Hi Stefan,
I learned Objective-C a short time ago, something around 2-3 years ago, because I applied for an internship in a Obj-C developing company during my last year of MSc. I was then mainly a C and Java developper, doing caml and prolog when needed at the university.
        Learning Objective-C has been really easy.
I bought "Objective-C Pocket Reference", by Andrew M. Duncan, O'Reilly, isbn 0-596-00423-0. If you're already used to Object Oriented programming, then this is fairly easy to learne objc with this book. I also own "Mac OS X programming for Mac OS X", Aaron Hillegass, Addison-Wesley, 0-201-72683-1. It contains a 39 page chapter introducing to objc. I've never read it, it seems not to require oo knowledge, but may lack explanation on oo programming if you're not used to it. Furthermore, this book relies heavily on mac os x technologies. Most of it can be applied to gnustep, the main problem being gorm et al. Objective-C beginner's guide, (author unknown), http:// www.otierney.net/objective-c.html. I printed it and made a small book of it. Interesting. Deals with oop at a low level of knowledge.

There must be lot more books to learn objective-c these are the ones i read about Obj-C.

Cocoa programming by Scott Anguish et al, isn't realy interesting, it only focuses on Cocoa, unless you want to know how to do precise things with views etc. It's thickness scaries me a bit to teel the truth, it could be a phone directory.

Regards.