Re: Window Manager for GNUstep

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Window Manager for GNUstep
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:31:33 +0100

Hello Pete,

You have no problem with freezing desktops, Command-1 not working,...?

I have no idea what you mean by 'Command-1',

Command means pressing the Apple-Key on a Mac-Keyboard, the Salmi-Key on a Sun-Keyboard and ... well, on a PC you're fucked. :-) Usually you would use the Alt-Key as the Command-Key since you have no other one left. :-)

Command is the key you press together with another key to fire the action of menu items if you have set key equivalents.

 but I never have any problems
with freezing desktops or aything. Possibly th problem is with GWorkspace

I don't use GWorkspace!

or something like that, and not with the Window Manager itself? Or maybe it
is a Linux issue?

I am not using Linux either. We are running Solaris.

version of Window Maker is 0.92

We use 0.92 as well. The problem is that no window maker events (click on another application window) are handled as long as the event loop of the currently activate application is not looping but stuck in a long term calculation (10s). Might it be that you have no GNustep applications that need 10s to complete an operation behind a button or menu item so that you can't reproduce the problem?

Since I have the same problem with enlightenment I would think this is an issue in back. I suppose the window manager waits for some kind of permission from the application to resign current application and the application does not give this permission until the long term operation has finished (granting permission requires a running event loop). Is this all bullshit or might this be the cause?

Regards,

  Andreas