GNUstep on debian

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: GNUstep on debian
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:10:59 +0100

Hi all,

I finally managed to get GNUstep to build on Debian, also our code depending on GNUstep. We have a loadable bundle that depends on FBAccess (a framework) which again depends on FBCAccess (a library supplied by FrontBase, Inc.). This library is installed in /usr/lib/FrontBase/lib on Debian. Trying to load our bundle failed. It could not find libFBCAccess. Under Soalris we usually add the lib path to crle. It seems this is done differently under Linux. I googled and found

        pico    /etc/ld.so.conf

        + /usr/lib/FrontBase/lib

        ldconfig

to be the correct approach on Linux. However, this file didn't exist and after creating it with this one entry and executing ldconfig the GNUstep app could not be started anymore. I rebooted the system. Now not even kdm or GNOME came up anymore. It seems my ldconfig approach hosed the complete system. I removed /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig again, but no avail. Everything depeding on shared libs fails now.

Any ideas how this is done correctly under Linux? I know that I should better keep my hands away from Linux and stay with Solaris. But for this one project I need to get it to work under linux as well. :-(

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

  Andreas

PS: I am attaching the GNUmakefile of the bundle SOFrontBaseBundle and of the framework FBAccess (SOFrontBaseBundle needs that), just in case this helps to get a clue.