Re: GNUstep live CD (Was: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos )

From: Gürkan Sengün
Subject: Re: GNUstep live CD (Was: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos )
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:52:03 +0100

Not critical problems with running the live cd itself, perhaps, but
there's certainly quite a few problems running the apps themselves.
Now, I understand it's likely that the problems lies in the debian
packages themselves or the apps, and that you can't patch everything
:-)

no, i can patch everything.

But some of them are just configuration issues and surely those could
be easily fixed ? and if there are apps that are so buggy they can't
really be used, I question their inclusion in the live cd...

they can easily be patched, look at the Makefile, the rsync and cp commands.
basically you can also add software like that onto the cd and remove
the debian packages. very simple. MUCH better than morphix

If that works I'll try to modify it.. probably get rid of the gnustep
packages and compile from the svn, which should be easier (for me)
than creating all the debs that need to be created :-/ -- again, the
objective is to release something recent by the fosdem (eg include a
bunch of svn stuff from gnustep, etoile, gap, that aren't yet in
debian)

i see. wait the debian gnustep packages don't work because of the
gnustep relies on /proc of linux specific stuff. i had to rebuild the
packages and put them in my own repo here:
http://gnu.ethz.ch/repository/gnustep-noprocps/
read:
http://gnu.ethz.ch/repository/gnustep-noprocps/build
http://gnu.ethz.ch/repository/gnustep-noprocps/list
build gnustep with --disable-procfs (all of it)
then it'll work.

Gurkan seems to check http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/
GNUstep_Live_CD where we discuss bugs of the current live CD
I made some updates to that page.

thanks, yes i do.

Well, it did build a cd, but gdomap/gdnc weren't launched, and any
gnustep app crashed :-/ -- I guess I forgot something.. :) (I built
the live cd using an ubuntu system).

see above why (the /proc reliance of linux specific systems). i REALLY
hope debian (hubert?) will build them with --disable-procfs for the
future gnustep packages

But considering what I want to do (mostly compiling stuff by hand,
specifically for =E9toil=E9 !) I think I'll perhaps simply modify an
unbuntu live cd...

that's fine. i'd suggest you to use debian gnu/linux sid though.
anyways, your time, you can do whatever you want. i don't like how
ubuntu changes some important things in the system-i for myself
will stay with debian

yours,
guerkan