Re: cosmetic patches for gui

From: Ingolf Jandt
Subject: Re: cosmetic patches for gui
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:37:13 +0100

On 2007-01-24 14:04:55 +0100 Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

Ingolf Jandt schrieb:
There are some ugly boxes around texts when windowBackgroundColor !=
controlBackgroundColor. The following (trivial) changes make them
disappear.

<NSTabView.m.diff><NSTabViewItem.m.diff> -- draw tab background with
window background color
<NSAlert.m.diff> -- draw message text background with window background
color
Could you please explain, why you think these changes are correct? All
these elements could be viewed as controls, so drawing them with the
standard control colour does have a point ...
One can little argue against the philosophical point that textfields are controlls even if they are only used for display. However I don't consent with the underlying assumption that color settings are there to illustrate to the user the technical details of the environment he is using. At least other UIs allow text lables and tab headers to have a different color then buttons and to blend with the rest of the window.

If you see this different further explaning or trying to convince you as we just seem to have different yardsticks.

I understand that when ever
the window background colour is different from the control colour they
will stand out, but so will any other control.
No, these are the only issues, according to my observation. (Your last clause seems to imply that the user is not meant to adjust the colors differently -- but there are two destinct methods/settings.)

Ingolf