Suggestion/Random Thought

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Suggestion/Random Thought
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:08:48 -0500

Hey, I was just browsing the internet at work yesturday (that's pretty much what I do) and I had an idea while looking through the W3C website.  Please keep in mind that, like all my ideas, this idea is coming from a non-programmer, so I haven't exactly thoroughly thought about implementation and complexity.

Anyway, the idea is to start implementing soft sort of SVG support into -gui.  The idea has been thrown out there before, but it seems that all references to it are at least a few years old, one being integrating the SVGImageRep from SVGViewer.app (Whatever happened to that idea anyway? There was no reply to the thread after that suggestion.).  I really think it would be an asset to GNUstep if it could implement SVG for icons and system images.  The Tango Desktop Project already publishes all their icons in SVG form.  The specification is also published by the W3C and is sponsored by giants such as IBM, HP, Microsoft, Canon, etc.

As already discussed, vector graphics isn't the answer to everything, but I think it could be really useful as SVG seems to be slowly turning into the future of vector graphics.  Not only that, but SVG also allows for image representation inside an image, which means, if needed you can have a TIFF (and any other format for that matter) image inside a SVG.

It would be nice to see GNUstep making head way on at least something instead of trying to play catch up all the time (I know that probably didn't come out the way I intended it to).

Just my random thoughts on something that I was looking at yesturday!

Stefan