Re: Embedded GNUstep - new rumours about embedded MacOS X and call for s

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Embedded GNUstep - new rumours about embedded MacOS X and call for support
Date: 11 Jan 2007 12:53:30 -0800

> perfect. The big issue is that the software of the iPhone seems to be
> much more pleasant to use / flashy. Well and possibly the speed, but

That is something we can change by embedded GNUstep...

Most of the flashy appearance comes from CoreAnimation. This is a great
step by Apple to develop and provide as part of a standard operating
system and on a phone. But has IMHO no real algorithmic secrets behind.

Make a list of objects, together with a 3D coordinate transform matrix
and a RGBA pixel sampler function for each one. Then, the drawing
algorithm goes through all the 3D transforms from back to front to find
for each pixel the first opaque object and its 2D coordinates and asks
the pixel sampler to return the pixel value. If the object is a bitmap
object - it is interpolated from the bitmap. If it is a movie, it is
interpolated from the current frame. If it is a Glyph or NSView, it is
rendered into a temporary bitmap of sufficient resolution. I remember
that they have said they heavily use the GPU which is optimized in
supporting such algorithms. So, I assume the CoreAnimation API is
mostly about managing a set of such 3D transforms. And the Cocoa API
will allow to modify the set and provide NSBitmapImageReps to display.

> Anyways, just my personal impression w/o having touched the
> iPhone ;-) Discussion should wait until Steve's RDF collapses ;-)

--- it is just 7 weeks until FOSDEM :):):)

Nikolaus