Re: Library, Bundle or ...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Library, Bundle or ...
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 06:43:19 +0000

On 5 Jan 2007, at 18:29, Philippe Roussel wrote:

Hi all

As a experiment I'm trying to an agenda application with GNUstep. It
would be build around specific widgets like this one :

ftp://coyote.octets.fr/calendar.png

I think it would be nice for those widgets to be usable from other
applications. What should I do to make that possible, in a good
GNUstep way ? Build a Library ? What is a Bundle exactly ?

A bundle is a directory which may contain a dynamic library and associated resource files ... in a format such that it can be loaded into an application at runtime using the NSBundle class.

Probably the ideal way to make widgets available is in a palette though. This is a special bundle with extra support to allow its contents to be used from within Gorm. Creating a palette for you widgets allows people to use them by dragging them onto their application windows in Gorm and graphically positioning/resizing them to suite their application.

So the ideal way to do this is in stages ...

If your widgets have no resources (eg image files), you can first build a library, but if they use resource files you should probably start by building a bundle. In fact it's probably good to build a bundle even if there are no resource files used ... as a bundle does not have to be linked into applications at compile time in order to be usable.

Then, once your bundle is working, make a palette for your widgets so that they can be used in Gorm (I'm sure Gregory Casamento can give you details on how to do this) ... then you can use Gorm to rapidly/ easily design/modify the user interface of your agenda application. The ease of editing your application's user interface will repay the extra effort you took to put the widgets in a palette.