R_PPC_REL24 relocation...out of range

From: Warren Nagourney
Subject: R_PPC_REL24 relocation...out of range
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:42:47 -0800

I installed gnustep on a laptop running Yellow Dog Linux and attempted to run GWorkspace, which I had compiled from source (latest version). I continually got a "R_PPC_REL24 relocation...out of range" error initially from the PDFKit. After searching the Web, I discovered that the most common fix was to recompile the offending library using the "-fPIC" (position independent code) option. After running configure, I included this option in the Makefile and Makefile.preamble for the PDFKit and recompiled the code (after doing a "make clean"). I still got the error. I then removed the PDFKit (it is optional) and recompiled GWorkspace, doing the same thing to its makefiles. Still the same error! (different library this time - I have forgotten which one)

I installed gnustep using the most recent script from gnustep.org and everything seemed to install perfectly (after acquiring a proper Objective C compiler - version 3.4 - and the libraries). I understand that gnustep is always compiled with the "-fPIC" option (at least on PPC hardware). Can someone suggest a work-around? I have run out of ideas and am very anxious to install working gnustep apps.

Thanks very much.

Warren Nagourney