Re: Word selection and cursor placement

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Word selection and cursor placement
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:37:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt Rice wrote:
>
> > I don't know anything about right-to-left text
> flow,
> > but it seems to me that moveLeft: and moveRight
> should
> > have the same behaviour on both left->right and
> > right->left text because left is a literal
> direction,
> >
> > corresponding to the left and right arrow keys,
> > i don't think that these should be affected by
> text
> > direction
> >
> > where moveForward: and moveBackward: are
> non-literal
> > directions, which should be affected
> >
> > i notice slight differences in the documentation
> >
> > -moveRight: should be placed at the right end of
> the
> > former selection.
> > -moveForward: should be place at the end of the
> former
> > selection.
> >
> > otoh, i'm not sure if what you describe here is a
> > difference of behaviour, or a different
> implementation
> > required to achieve the same behaviour under both
> > left->right and right->left, if you could clarify
> that
> > a little
>
> In fact, what I was describing is a difference in
> the
> implementation needed to achieve the behavior you
> describe
> above (and to which I agree completely).

ok, well i've commited stuff for this,
i beliveve i've got all the other places too

i tried implementing the right to left issues
discussed above, though i'm not commited to fixing all
of the right to left issues with the text system ;)

theres still a few places where there were already
problems with right to left text which i've left
intact... moveToBeginningOfLine: and moveToEndOfLine:
at least.

also commited the word break character set stuff that
Andreas sent the other day, and the
DefaultKeyBindings.dict changes for ctrl-b and ctrl-f.

in testing this i noticed some issues with the
alternate keys.

select some text (in a multi word document)
here right-alt+shift, hold shift, release alt, hit
right-alt

the selected text disappears, and the alt key seems to
be stuck in the down position... moving left and right
moves by word, rather odd

I vaguely recall some kind of default having to do
with alt or shift,

anyhow, please test

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre