Re: Backend <-> GUI Library Interaction

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Backend <-> GUI Library Interaction
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:27:32 +0000

On 7 Nov 2006, at 08:11, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

Hi

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

That's interesting, I thought the only way a window could change window
levels was by the setwindowlevel: message.

I thought the same until I checked. The documentation suggested that behavior but was not completely explicit, so I looked at the X backend code to confirm it. The other interpretation (that ordering of windows relative to each other only worked for windows in the same level) seems a bit more intuitive to me.

It actually might be worth checking what MacOS-X actually does, and consider changing the GNUstep behavior if it does it the other way.

There seems to be a little debate about this one (re: message from Sheldon Gill). I'll have to dig a bit deeper on this, but I think the MacOSX notes are ambigious too (IIRC).

Well, in answering your question about the gui/backend interaction in GNUstep, Sheldon has just said how he thinks it *should* behave rather than how it *does* behave. If you want to 'fix' the windows backend to work better with the gui now, you need to implement the actual behavior rather than a potential future behavior.

However, his idea of how it should behave is perfectly reasonable ... and I would probably support moving to it if (and only if) it's the way MacOS-X behaves ... once we have checked what the impact/breakage of changing behavior would be and if we got consensus/majority in favour of changing. Perhaps very few apps actually depend upon the existing behavior and changing would be pretty painless.