Re: Some random thoughs and questions on the future of GNUstep

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Some random thoughs and questions on the future of GNUstep
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:38:51 +0200

On Oct 1, 2006, at 20:54, Nikolaus Waxweiler wrote:
What I miss about your proposal is outlining actual problems GNUstep has and which would be solved by using cmake (and how).
CMake was just the next best example I had ("[...] or better: Moving Away From GNUstep Make") and there's also gsjam, but as said, I still have to look into that. The general idea was, as stated, to outsource as much work as possible to be able to concentrate on -base, -gui and -back, I then just listed what CMake can do. Others already stated that a switch right now to *any* other build system would be more work than it's worth, and well, I'll just continue tinkering and see what comes up :)

Exactly. But even there is little reason to "outsource" gnustep-make work because its already done and needs little maintenance. And cmake etc doesn't help us with ObjC/GNUstep specific things like PCH support either ;-)

Nah, CMake is a cross-platform reinvention of Autotools :P. GS-M is a reinvention insofar that it's a complete build system.

I honestly don't get it, _re_invention of what? :-) It just a set of utilities which can be used with make. Its still plain old (GNU...) make.

I would be interested to see how a typical GNUstep make package would look like in cmake.
Do you mean a GNUmakefile? In the ideal/simplest case, a CMakeLists.txt for an application would look like

   FIND_PACKAGE(GNUstep REQUIRED)
ADD_EXECUTABLE(SomeApp GNUSTEP_BUNDLE source1.m source2.c source3.mm)

or maybe

   FIND_PACKAGE(GNUstep REQUIRED)
   GNUSTEP_APP(SomeApp source1.m source2.c source3.mm)

I'll see.

Yup.

Greets,
  Helge