RE: Which directory layout for develoment

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: Which directory layout for develoment
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:17:58 +0200 (CEST)

You can use subprojects! :-)

A subproject allows you to move some of your files into a subdirectory
without changing the end result.

If you want to quickly check that your stuff compiles, you can also go in the
subdirectory, and type 'make' there.  That will compile the files of the
subproject but do nothing else.

To use subprojects, you need to modify your GNUmakefile.

Say that you are compiling an application.  Your GNUmakefile will look
something like

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

APP_NAME = MyApp
MyApp_OBJC_FILES = main.m yup1.m yup2.m

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/application.make

Now, say that you want to move yup1.m and yup2.m into a subdirectory
called 'Yup' without changing the end result.

You change the GNUmakefile to look like

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

APP_NAME = MyApp
MyApp_OBJC_FILES = main.m
MyApp_SUBPROJECTS = Yup

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/application.make

Then you create this directory Yup, put yup1.m and yup2.m into it,
and add a Yup/GNUmakefile in the directory to compile them as a
'subproject' --

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

SUBPROJECT_NAME = Yup
Yup_OBJC_FILES = yup1.m yup2.m

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/subproject.make

And that's about it .... when you type 'make' top-level, it will descent
into the subproject Yup, compile it, then go up top-level, compile the files
top-level, and when it gets to linking, it will link all together into
your app :-)

If you type 'make' in the subproject, it will just compile the subproject ...
useful to check that the stuff compiles (but won't build the final
application).

Thanks

PS: I guess I should add that to the gnustep-make tutorials ...