Re: License issue of bundle

From: Jeremy Tregunna
Subject: Re: License issue of bundle
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:29:45 -0400

On 06-09-17, at 18:03, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

As far as I understand,
if an application loads a GPL-licensed bundle,
this application has to be GPL

Then here is a theoretical question:
1. if a GPL-licensed bundle is automatically loaded through GSAppKitUserBundles,
   do all applications need to be GPL ?
  I guess probably not.
2. If a GPL-licensed bundle provide a category for NSApplication,
   say [NSApplication -loadGPLBundle].
   then the GPL-license bundle is loaded through GSAppKitUnserBundles
   and an application use this method (-loadGPLBundle),
   does this application need to be GPL-license ?
   The issue is that the application do not need this bundle to
compile and execute.
   It only use it when it is available.

I am just curious about how the GPL propagates through bundle
through automatical loading.

Regardless of what the FSF thinks the GPL should be interpreted as, under US copyright law. So unless the plugin was acquired unlawfully, dynamic linking is permitted. For instance, read: http://digital-law- online.info/CONTU/contu6.html which is the last I'll touch on it as it pertains to the USA.

That said, the FSF's claim would probably hold true in Canada just due to the way in which the law is worded. Computer programs under the Canadian Copyright Act are considered literary works, defined as "a set of insturctions or statments expressed, fixed, embodied or stored in any manner, that is to be used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a specific result." And there is case law which shows that translation of a computer program into another language does constitute infringement on the original program. All that to be true, we are receiving a new copyright law (sometime anyway, both our two major contendors to a majority government support the notion of updating the copyright law, just whenever they do is another matter) which may change this interpretation. So it's my opinion that the FSF's translation would fly in Canada, but not in the USA. Keeping in mind that IANAL.

--
Jeremy Tregunna
jtregunna@blurgle.ca