Re: New to the List

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: New to the List
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:46:17 +0200

Welcome! :)

[...] and because of that I think I could
help with some of the documentation/wiki (and maybe advocating the
project).
Yes! Your help will be much appreciated.

Also, I'm sure there's a reason for
it, but I really don't get the reasoning behind putting all those
linked application in the Applications directory.
They were probably contributed by various users and serve as a starting
point for those who want to wrap their apps.

One suggestion might be to have
whatever script creates them check to see if the linked application
actually exists (in bash "if [ -x /usr/bin/acrobat ]" ... for
example).
Come to think of it, a program could do the wrapping. The user tells it
which app he wants to run, specifies types and icons and the rest is
generated. Alternatively, the script could first check for an active KDE
or Gnome session or something and then run the appropriate app or fall
back on other programs if they exist. This would serve better integration
in other environments. Gotta write that down.